Thursday, October 13, 2011

In-SCULZ-ation

Or inskullation. Most of us work with a variety of tools, materials and methods to create an inimitable style of art. Some of our techniques, we have down pat. We know what paint and brush to use for what medium in order to show detail, depth and definition.

For the past month, I have been working with plastic skulls, pretty well human head size. Getting paint to adhere, plus the application of baubles, rubber, glass, bits of plastic, cloth, metal, wood...whatever I find in my studio that I think might suit, has been an ongoing challenge.

Today's adventure was to create an entry wound on one side of the head and the exit on the other. I started with two fake wounds made of rubber. These were not flat but 3D. An affixing headache.

I determined fairly early that contact cement was not going to work. It would not stick rubber to cement, and worse, when I lifted the rubber from the plastic, it took the pink paint with it.

An all-purpose glue, Weldbond, seems to be holding the wounds in place. In order to create a seamless effect, pink plasticine has been smoothed around the edges, light pink for the entry and darker for the exit. Both subsequently will be sprayed the same colour as the skull which will be the next challenge, will the paint stick to the plasticine.

When I get the actual in -SCULZ-ation completed, perhaps tomorrow, I will post the finished project.

I have created ten SCULZ and will do at least ten more before the week of Halloween as these will be on display at various Ottawa venues. One has already been taken to Brighton, England and another is residing in Kingston.

SCULZ away!

No comments: